The garden and gazebo at the Campbell House Museum is a green oasis in the heart of downtown St. Louis and is a unique place for weddings and special events.
The restored 1870s gazebo divides the large lawn at the front of the house from the gardens and carriage house at the rear of the property. Join the individuals and organizations that have used the Campbell House garden as the site of their special event.
Download (pdf) our Weddings and Special Events borchure.
For more information or to start the rental process please contact the museum.
Garden and Gazebo Rental (4 hours)
$650 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
$500 (Monday through Thursday)
$100 additional per hour beyond 4 hours
There is also an additional 20 percent cleaning charge for any catered event. Discounts are available for Museum members.
Facility Rental PoliciesRental and Deposits
Facility rental includes use of the Museum gardens and gazebo only, there is no indoor rental space. The interior of the Campbell House Museum buildings (including the carriage house) are NOT available for rental or special events of any kind. Please be aware that there is NO inside alternative in the case of inclement weather. Guests are permitted in the Museum only to use the restrooms or as part of a tour (see Tour policy below).
All checks are to be made payable to the Campbell House Museum.
A rental/security deposit of $200 is required by the Renter. This deposit confirms the reservation, holds the date and time you have requested and is due upon booking. A contract is then issued and it must be signed and returned within 2 weeks to avoid cancellation.
If the Renter cancels the event 90 days or more prior to the event date the entire rental/security deposit will be refunded. For cancellations less than 90 days prior to the event, $125 of the rental/security deposit will be refunded. $75 will be retained as a cancellation fee.
The deposit will be used for extraordinary cleaning required or damages as a result of the event to the physical plant and grounds of the Campbell House Museum; or theft of property, plants, furniture, or other items which are part of the Campbell House Museum. If the cost of repairs, cleaning services, loss, or replacement exceeds the amount of the security deposit, Renter will be responsible for all costs beyond the amount of the security deposit.
Provided that all policies and procedures are followed and there is no damage to the Campbell House Museum property, the deposit will be returned within thirty (30) days after the event date. A check will be returned to the person paying the deposit. Please inform the Campbell House Museum of any address change. A $25 fee will apply to all returned checks.
The separate rental fee (outline above in Fee Schedule) is due no later than 30 days prior to the event date. Payment in full is to be received by the due date or the Campbell House Museum may terminate this agreement and retain all non-refundable deposits previously paid. Events cancelled less than 30 days prior to the event date will forfeit the entire amount of the rental fee.
Insurance and Liability Requirements
Evidence of general public liability coverage in the form of a "Certificate of Insurance" for not less than $1,000,000 is required to rent the property. This requirement, often attainable by an endorsement to homeowner's, business, or renters insurance, must be received not less than thirty (30) days prior to the event date. The Campbell House Museum is to be named as additional insured. The Renter agrees to hold the Campbell House Museum and the Campbell House Foundation, Inc. harmless from any claim, or lien for loss, damage or injury to person or property which the renter, its agents, contractors, employees, invitees, liscensees, visitors, or others entering the premises, may sustain or suffer in or about the Campbell House Museum by any cause whatsoever.
The Campbell House Museum (CHM) reserves the right to refuse the admission of any vendor or subcontractor to the premises. The Campbell House Museum must approve, at least thirty (30) days in advance of the event date, all vendors providing services for the Renter. Any vendor or subcontractor without prior CHM approval will not be allowed to enter the Campbell House Museum for the purpose of providing services. The Renter will be held responsible for the conduct of their subcontractors and for any damages to person or property, including loss of property that may result from their stay at the facility. The Renter will be held responsible for ensuring that all vendors (those who are providing a service for their event) provide CHM with requested Insurance and Business information thirty (30) days prior to the event date. All vendors must be self-contained and cannot have access to any of the Museum buildings.
Limited consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted at Campbell House Museum (CHM). Guests must conform to the rules of the State of Missouri and the City of St. Louis governing consumption of alcoholic beverages. Vendors must have a valid liquor license and provide a copy to the CHM. The CHM urges all Renters to take appropriate measures to ensure the safety of all guests. The CHM reserves the right to refuse service to and evict from the premises any member of any party who, because of intoxication or other consideration, may be found to be creating a disturbance or threatening the peace, tranquility, or safety of guests or property. Alcoholic beverages cannot be served later than 11:30 p.m. All beverage service will end at 11:30 p.m. No food or drink is allowed on the sidewalk, streets or in the restrooms.
Tours of the first floor of the Campbell House Museum during the hours of an event may be arranged with the CHM in advance.
Facility Rental Rules and Regulations
1. The Campbell House Museum (CHM) garden and gazebo are available for events for up to a maximum of 250 people.
2. Smoking is not permitted in the gardens and grounds of the CHM.
3. A CHM staff member will be available during the event. Their role is to assist you as much as possible but they cannot be part of your kitchen or vendor staff or serve as a wedding director/coordinator. One staff person is provided for each rental.
4.The configuration or layout of the event must be approved by the CHM staff in advance of the event. If a tent or other structure is erected on the premises the Renter is responsible for any liability is association with the structure.
5. All food and beverages must be consumed inside the fenced premises. Consumption is not allowed on the sidewalk or the streets.
6. Electrical, sound, entertainment and lighting requirements and equipment must be approved by CHM staff in advance of the event.
7. Affixing tape, posters, signs, flowers or other decoration to the gazebo, fence, windows, walls of the facility with tacks, nails, tape, glue, or any other substance is strictly prohibited. Consideration for any type of display/decoration will be given only if prior arrangements have been made with the CHM. All decorations must be approved by the CHM in advance of every event. In the event that damage is done as a result of any unauthorized decorating or defacement of structures and/or surfaces, the cost of cleaning, repairs and/or replacement will be billed to Renter.
8. The throwing of confetti, rice, birdseed, flower petals or bubble blowing is not permitted.
9. If the event is a wedding, the Renter may schedule a rehearsal walk-through prior to the event. Arrangements must be made with the CHM in advance to schedule a rehearsal.
10. Individuals renting the gazebo and garden must outline and coordinate delivery and removal plans with the CHM representative at least two weeks prior to the event. Set up may begin the day of the event, providing the facility is not in use. The set up schedule must be approved by the CHM. All rented equipment must be removed from the premises on the day of the event or before 10 a.m. the following business day. The facilities must be left in the original condition. Buildings and grounds must be clean, all trash must be removed. All trash must be removed and placed in the trash cans the same day as the event. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of all or a portion of the security deposit.
11. Personal articles brought to the Campbell House Museum are the responsibility of the owner. The CHM is not responsible for damage to or loss of any articles during an event or for those personal articles left at the facility prior to or following any event. All items, including rentals, supplies, equipment, clothing, food or drinks, are not to be left at CHM unless the Renter has written authorization from the CHM prior to the event. Renter agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the CHM for any losses or damage that happens to items temporarily in the care and custody of the CHM.
12. The Campbell House Museum is not responsible for loss or damage to automobiles or their contents while parked on the street or parking lots.
13. Parking arrangements (outside the use of parking meters) and security (if desired) is the responsibility of the Renter.
14. The gazebo, grounds and gardens of the Campbell House Museum premises will be left in a clean, neat and orderly fashion, free of debris, trash, and decorations. For removal and disposal of substantial amounts of debris, prior arrangement is necessary and an additional fee may apply. The handling of reasonable amounts of trash may be available on-site.
The distinctive and elegant rooms on the first floor of the Museum, including the sumptuous formal parlor, are available for photography sessions. A photography session is included in the cost of the garden rental, however separate arrangements for the session must be made with the CHM in advance of the event.
Photography Rental (1 hour)
$200 (for rental of the Museum interior or garden for photography session.)
$50 additional for each 1/2 hour beyond 1 hour) Discounts are available for Museum members
No type of commercial photography is allowed in the Museum interior without prior permission.
Wedding photographs may be taken on the first floor of the museum only
Reservations are required four (4) weeks in advance and a $100.00 refundable deposit is necessary to insure the reservation, unless the Renter has also secured the use of the garden.
Use of the furniture and objects in the museum collections is prohibited. This includes sitting on chairs, sofas, etc. No type of decorations are permitted in the building.
Only members of the wedding party may be present during the photographic session. A maximum of 20 people are allowed.
Limited flash photography and the use of low level flood lights are permitted to be used by the official/professional photographer. Other persons taking photographs will not be permitted.
The CHM reserves the right to close the facility just prior to or during an event for the safety and welfare of employees, renters, venders, and guests due to inclement weather, physical access, and/or other emergancy circumstances.
For more information or to start the rental process please contact the museum.