Since opening on February 6, 1943, the Campbell House Museum has served the greater St. Louis area as one of the region's premier historic property museums.
The Museum not only preserves the Campbell's house, but also their collection of original furniture, fixtures, paintings, objects and thousands of pages of family documents. Included in these documents is a unique album of 60 photographs of the interior of the house taken in about 1885. In 2005 the Museum completed a meticulous five-year restoration that returned the building to its opulent 1880s appearance, when the house was one of the centers of St. Louis society.
The museum was documented as part of the Historic American Buildings Survey between 1936 and 1941, designated a City of St. Louis Landmark in 1946, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, and became a National Trust for Historic Preservation Save America's Treasures project in 2000.
The museum is owned and operated by the Campbell House Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
The museum is constantly working towards its mission:
" The Campbell House Museum is one of the most historically significant Nineteenth Century buildings in St. Louis. The museum preserves its National Register listed buildings and important collection of original mid-Nineteenth Century Philadelphia furnishings, family possessions, photographs, and archival material as a center for educational and community outreach programming.
The museum is dedicated to continually reinterpreting its collections for exploring issues such as; the development of the fur trade, exploration and development of the west, the growth of urban economies, emigration, historic preservation, principles of Victorian interior design, and the urban issues that continue to shape our region today. "
CAMPBELL HOUSE FOUNDATION, INC.
Board of Directors, 2013
Mr. Terence M. Baer, 1st Vice President
Mr. Donald H. Bergmann
Ms. Janice K. Broderick
Mrs. Eileen Carr
Dr. Jackie Chambers
Mr. Sam B. Clark
Mr. Fritz Z. Clifford, Jr., President
Dr. Louis Gerteis
Mrs. Jane P. Gleason
Ms. Julie Greenspoon
Mr. D. Scott Johnson, 2nd Vice President
Mrs. Jeanne Lindburg
Mr. Jeff McClain
Mrs. Lisa D. McLaughlin
Mr. Tim Rohan, Secretary
Mrs. Patricia H. Schlafly
Mr. James Sherby
Mrs. Celeste D. Sprung
Mr. G. Carroll Stribling, Treasurer
Mr. Jack Swanson
Mr. Richard M. Wise
Ex-Officio Board of Directors
Mrs. Emily Troxell Jaycox, Librarian, Missouri Historical Society
Mr. Brent Benjamin, Director, The St. Louis Art Museum
Mr. John N. Hoover, Executive Director, St. Louis Mercantile Library
Mr. John Karel, Director, Tower Grove Park
Andrew W. Hahn, Executive Director
Shelley M. Satke, Assistant Director
For more information please contact the Museum.